Community-Based Wheelchair Program
Independence Care System recognizes that wheeled mobility is perhaps the most critical need people with physical disabilities have. It means the difference between isolation and independence.
That’s why ICS created a Community-Based Wheelchair Evaluation, Purchase and Repair Program—unmatched in New York City. With a staff of rehabilitation and occupational therapists and trained wheelchair technicians, our comprehensive Wheelchair Program offers:
- Expert wheelchair evaluation. Professional fittings are done by a physical or occupational therapist, along with a certified rehabilitation technology supplier; members are listened to carefully about how they live, their level of activity, and what they need to maintain their lifestyle.
- A wheelchair evaluation room with a versatile power ceiling lift, in ICS Brooklyn. Provides maximum safety and support to members transferring in and out of their wheelchairs for fittings and repairs.
- Home assessment. Ensures that the appropriate chair will fit through the doors, hallways and elevators of the member’s home; therapists offer ways to increase accessibility (e.g., portable metal outdoor ramps), covered by ICS.
- Wheelchair Maintenance Workshop. Members have access to a technician to perform preventive maintenance and light repairs in our “Jiffy Lube” shop in ICS Brooklyn. To help our members to maintain their wheelchairs and scooters, the Workshop takes place every Wednesday—by appointment or by “rolling in.”
- On-the-Road Service. A wheelchair repair technician typically visits members at home to repair a chair. When necessary, if additional parts are needed, the chairs are repaired at a shop. When in-shop repairs are being done, members have access to their own back-up chair or, if available, a loaner chair.
- An oversized shower room. Mud, rain, snow—nowhere to go? You can bring your wheelchair into ICS Brooklyn and give it a shower!