Homeless & Disabled in New York City

Accessible SheltersA settlement just reached in Butler v. The City of New York should make shelter services for homeless New Yorkers with disabilities more accessible over time. The settlement, which will take effect in mid-November, arose from a lawsuit against New York City’s Department of Homeless Services (DHS).

The plaintiffs are a number of New Yorkers with disabilities who sought shelter from DHS and found a system that did not accommodate their needs. Additional plaintiffs are two advocacy groups: The Center for Independence of the Disabled, NY (CIDNY) and the Coalition for the Homeless. All of the plaintiffs are represented by the Legal Aid Society.

The lawsuit outlines violations of the Americans with Disabilities Act and numerous other federal, state and city laws throughout New York City’s shelter system.

While people with disabilities are disproportionately represented in the homeless population, the plaintiffs allege that DHS does not have a process in place to assess an applicant’s disabilities or need for related accommodations during the shelter intake process. Even worse, DHS intake workers routinely refuse to consider requests for a disability-related accommodation – even when the need for one is readily apparent – unless the person seeking shelter presents documents from a medical provider establishing the need for an accommodation.

Intake materials are not provided in formats that are accessible to people with impaired hearing or vision. And while applying for shelter can take many hours over a number of days, people who rely on power wheelchairs, oxygen machines, and other medical devices are often not provided with electrical outlets to keep this vital equipment charged.

Additional Barriers

DHS has a policy of denying an applicant shelter if it finds that other housing is available to them, without taking into account whether the available housing is accessible or can accommodate the applicant’s disabilities.

For example, in the case of the lead plaintiff, Sandra Butler, DHS found that she could live with her mother, refusing to take into account that her mother’s house is physically inaccessible. Ms. Butler, who uses a walker and cannot climb stairs, has sickle cell disease, chronic asthma, and a seizure disorder. DHS’s decision to refuse her shelter left Ms. Butler living in a car parked outside her mother’s house in the winter, with an extension cord running from the house to the car to power her oxygen machine.

The plaintiffs also allege that people with disabilities are routinely sent to facilities that cannot accommodate their needs. Examples cited include shelters with inaccessible bathrooms; the placement of people with sight or vision disabilities in shelters that cannot accommodate their communication needs; and people with medically-required diets or the need to keep medication refrigerated placed in shelters without kitchens.

For the vast number of New Yorkers with disabilities who require the services of a home care aide, the City has just 32 beds available, all of them at Barrier Free Living, which has a strong partnership with ICS.

The long-term picture can be especially crazy-making. Every person accepted into a DHS shelter is required to have an independent living plan focused on getting them into permanent housing. The plaintiffs here allege that people with disabilities are often pressured by DHS staff to accept placements in inaccessible housing and, if they refuse, are told they are not complying with their independent living plan, which places them at risk of losing their shelter placement.

The Settlement

According to the federal Department of Housing and Urban Development, nationwide more than 40 percent of people in homeless shelters have a disability. In New York City, it may well be more, as we have a higher proportion of poor people with disabilities and a housing market that does not accommodate them. Against this background, a speedy implementation of the Butler settlement agreement could not be more urgent.

According to Legal Aid attorney Kathryn Kliff, “The settlement will result in the City changing its policies, practices, and facilities to make them more accessible to people with disabilities who need reasonable accommodations. It will also require DHS to train its staff on the rights of people with disabilities, as well as making it easier for disabled individuals to request reasonable accommodations in shelter.”

Specifically, under the settlement, the City must:

  • Hire a Director of Disability Affairs to ensure policies are created that give people with disabilities meaningful access to DHS shelter services
  • Hire Access and Functional Needs Coordinators to work in each DHS intake office and assessment shelter
  • Educate all staff who interact with shelter applicants or residents about the laws pertaining to disability discrimination and DHS policies implementing disability rights
  • Provide intake staff with a menu of specific accommodations that may be provided
  • Reduce the demand for medical proof of the need for an accommodation by intake staff
  • Hire an independent consultant to identify physical barriers to access and develop a remediation plan
  • Keep records of the accommodations an individual has requested or been granted and ensure that these records are available to staff at all shelters

The settlement also requires the City to regularly assess the current and anticipated need for disability accommodations in shelters. The implementation of the settlement terms will be monitored by the plaintiffs’ attorneys, who can bring enforcement actions back to the court if the City fails to comply. You can read the full settlement agreement here.

12 replies
  1. Angel L. Olivencia
    Angel L. Olivencia says:

    hi my name is Angel Luis Olivencia and i am a disable person who needs helps as soon as possible my domestic partner wants to kick me out with out any probable cause,what should i do please i need guidens i am really lost in my mind,she claims that someone told her that i was talking bad about her kids and that they video recorded me but i told her where is the proof so far nothing yet,she wants me out of the apartment asap just like that and knowing that we have a domestic partnership and also i am on the lease as a CoHead of house hold.i am a person with no criminal records.

  2. Maria Constanza Sanchez Chiappe, Digital & Visual Communications Associate
    Maria Constanza Sanchez Chiappe, Digital & Visual Communications Associate says:

    Angel, I am so sorry for your troubles. We do not provide housing services, unfortunately. However, I believe that you may be able to get free legal assistance. Please reach out to them. Good luck to you! Here is the contact information from the Legal Aid Society website: “If you are in need of legal assistance and live in New York City, please call 212-577-3300 to receive information in English and Spanish how to access our services.”

  3. Linda Valentin
    Linda Valentin says:

    Im.on oxygen machine live in a room please need help 4 apt.one outlet the machine needs direct I feeel.lostedi have cops on housing 2 years is there any way to get a home sooner I’m b stress out where I’m at the landlord wants me out the machine pull out a lot of electricity billplease help I’ll live in a box:(

  4. Maria Constanza Sanchez Chiappe, Digital & Visual Communications Associate
    Maria Constanza Sanchez Chiappe, Digital & Visual Communications Associate says:

    Hi Linda,

    We are so sorry to hear about your plight. Please call the CIDNY at 212/674-2300 and New York Lawyers for the Public Interest at 212-244-4664 for help with your housing and landlord. Also, if you feel our services could help you, call us at 877.ICS.2525.

  5. Dale Arthur
    Dale Arthur says:

    Good day,I’ll be discharged after having spinal sergry to believe shelter.do you know how that would work out

  6. Maria Constanza Sanchez Chiappe, Digital & Visual Communications Associate
    Maria Constanza Sanchez Chiappe, Digital & Visual Communications Associate says:

    Hi Dale Arthur, If you are an ICS member, please contact your care manager right away. If you aren’t sure who you care manager is, please call 877.ICS.2525 and tell our member services department that you need to speak with your care manager. If you are not an ICS member and don’t have a care manager, you should insist on speaking with the hospital social worker before you are discharged to make sure that all of the services you will need are in place before you go to the shelter. Best of luck to you!

  7. SHAKENYA M Obair
    SHAKENYA M Obair says:

    I left the shelter at the end of January of 2018 I am homeless and disable I walked in the bathroom early in the morning about 6 a.m. on a Saturday in the shelter was in Manhattan it was a family shelter and the bathroom was full of water and it was a dirty syringe Needle on the ground and I could no longer stay there all sorts of smoking loud talkin it was a nightmare and they requested so much information from me that I did not have now I’m going from place to place train station anyway I can lay my head if someone can help me here’s my information

  8. Maria Constanza Sanchez Chiappe, Digital & Visual Communications Associate
    Maria Constanza Sanchez Chiappe, Digital & Visual Communications Associate says:

    Hi Shakenya,
    We are so sorry that you are having these very difficult problems. If you are homeless and have a disability in New York City the best agency to contact is Barrier Free Living. Please call them at 212-677 6668 or if you prefer you can email them at info@bflnyc.org but calling would probably be better.

  9. Rebecca Cajigas
    Rebecca Cajigas says:

    Hi, My dad is 57, disabled and currently in a nursing rehab facility. He’s been there for 5 months and is homeless. He is going to be discharged in a few days and I’d like to make sure he leave fully prepared to enter DHS. He gets little to no help or information from the social worker on sight regarding the transition and I’m afraid he will not be accommodated. Please help.

  10. Maria Constanza Sanchez Chiappe, Digital & Visual Communications Associate
    Maria Constanza Sanchez Chiappe, Digital & Visual Communications Associate says:

    We are so sorry for your dad’s predicament. Please call Barrier Free Living – they may be able to help your dad. The number is (212) 400-6470. Also, as outlined in this post, the City is required to accommodate your father’s disability. If you need help making sure that happens, please contact Legal Aid Society and the Center for Independence of the Disabled. Good luck to you and your family.

  11. Dawn Erazo
    Dawn Erazo says:

    I have a 26y/o son with disabilities. He is homeless and I can no longer help him. Every shelter he has been to the people beatand rob him. The staff don’t care. I’m at my wits end. HELP HIM PLEASE.

  12. Maria Constanza Sanchez Chiappe, Digital & Visual Communications Associate
    Maria Constanza Sanchez Chiappe, Digital & Visual Communications Associate says:

    We are so sorry for you son’s difficulties. Please consider contacting the following agencies for assistance. You can find contact information on these agencies’ website.

    The NYC Mayor’s Office for People with Disabilities
    The NYC Human Rights Commission
    The Legal Aid Society
    The Center for Independent Living
    Barrier Free Living

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *